Monday, 3 February 2014

Review: Primal Fear - Delivering The Black

What time is Mr. Wolf? It's time for you to shut the fuck up and listen to some powah metal! YEAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAH

I haven't done a power metal review yet, so I figured, "Why not?" And it isn't because fuck all came out this week. What'd I think? You cheeky little bastard, I'm not telling you right away this time! Read for once in your goddamn life.

Just so everyone can catch up, Primal Fear is a German band that was made when Ralf Scheepers didn't become Rob Halford's replacement for Judas Priest during the Ripper years. Basically, Ralf threw a little bitch fit and said, "Fine, I'm taking my ball and going home. I'm gonna make my own band, and it'll have swords! And dragons!" Kind of reminds me of how Chris Barnes (Six Feet Under, ex Cannibal Corpse) or Paul Di'Anno (ex Iron Maiden) talk about their old bands. I mean, have you read some of the shit they spew? Chris hates Dethklok (didn't even know that was possible) and Paul's been calling Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden) gay, a ballerina and a faggot. Classy guys.

Long story short, they made a band and started pumping out some pretty badass power metal. At least I think it's good, could be generic as hell but I don't know power metal all that well. You don't think my review has any credibility then? Well, maybe I'll just take my ball and go home then.


The album opens with the track "King for a Day", which was probably written while headbanging. This is probably the most generic song though, good to introduce the newcomers to the band, but little else. The song right afterwards, "Rebel Faction" was pretty written with lots of cocaine, and most of it going to the drummer. The double bass is out of control! It's operatic, blazing fast and epic (fuck I hate that word). I could see this becoming a staple in their live acts.

There's lots of great material here, other standouts include "One Night in December", "Alive & On Fire" and "Born with a Broken Heart". Yes, the prerequisite power ballad is one of the better ones on the album. Shut up, guys can like power ballads too!

That brings me to my recommendation. Did I like it? Yes. Should you buy this one? I honestly have no idea. You could just as easily grab something from their back catalogue and get as much entertainment value out of it, probably cheaper too. Or just go on Spotify and stream everything there. Yeah, let's go with that option. Stream before you buy kids, it's good practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment